▼

Thursday, September 24, 2026

closing the curtains

 closing the curtains

Well… I finally did it.

I made my Instagram accounts private.

Not because I’m disappearing. Not because I’ve stopped making art, taking photographs, writing, or sharing my little observations about the world.

Actually, quite the opposite.

I think I’m becoming more interested in where my energy goes — and who I’m sharing it with.

For years, social media has been an open door. Anyone could wander in. Algorithms could decide who saw something I made. Posts could travel far beyond the people I ever intended to reach. And lately, I’ve been thinking more and more about how strange that is.

So I closed the curtains a little.

My Instagram accounts are now private, which means I get to choose who comes through the door. 🌿

That doesn't mean everything stops. My blog is still here. It remains my little archive of people, places, art, politics, nature, Mexico, memories, questions, and whatever else catches my eye.

And Facebook? I’m still figuring that one out. 😂

Maybe this is the beginning of a gradual retreat from social media. Maybe it isn't. I don't really know yet.

If I eventually spend more time in the mountains of Mexico, painting, writing, learning Spanish, weaving, watching the stars and living a little closer to the land, I suspect I won't need quite so much internet anyway.

Ironically, even San José del Pacífico has Starlink now. 😂

So this isn't goodbye.

It's simply me asking myself:

Do I really need to have every door wide open all the time?

Maybe it's okay to close a few curtains.

And if I change my mind?

I can always open them again.

🌿🎨🦋

What do you think?

Do you ever feel like social media has become too much of an open door?

Have you ever stepped back from it and found that you actually gained something by doing less?

And if you could choose what parts of your life remained public and what stayed behind the curtain, what would you keep private?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.