Sunday, July 26, 2026

A Rainy Day at Bard on the Beach... and a Really Good One

 A Rainy Day at Bard on the Beach... and a Really Good One

Yesterday was an interesting day at Bard on the Beach. I wasn't just there to sell my artwork—I was there to meet people, share stories, observe, and learn.

Even with a bit of rain, people kept coming through the Artisan Village. They stopped to look at my paintings, ask questions, and share their own stories. Those conversations are one of my favourite parts of being an artist, although I have to admit, by the end of the day I was completely exhausted!

The biggest surprise? I actually sold artwork!

🖼️ Two paintings and two pairs of earrings found new homes, and I came home with $110. It might not sound like a huge amount to some people, but for me it was grocery money, encouragement, and a reminder that people really do connect with handmade art.

What made me happiest was hearing people recognize the name Zipolita. They saw my signs and knew who I was. Building an artist's name takes time, and it feels like those small steps are finally starting to happen.

I also spent a lot of time talking about the stories behind my artwork. People connected with the whales, the ocean, the waves, the mermaids, and of course, Jimothy the raccoon. I even gave away some little Jimothy paintings, including one to someone visiting from Seattle—Jimothy's hometown! Seeing people's faces light up reminded me that art isn't always about the sale. Sometimes it's about the connection.

One of the special moments of the day was meeting Christopher Gaze and his wife, Jennifer. I shook Christopher's hand and gave him one of my little bracelets that says, "To Bard or Not to Bard." Jennifer recognized my work and said, "This is the woman who painted those murals I was telling you about!" That was such a wonderful moment because it showed me that my murals are becoming part of the community's memory.

I also spent the day talking with visitors, vendors, and people involved with Bard. I learned so much. There are hundreds of volunteers who help make events like this happen, and every person has a story. I love asking questions, listening, and discovering how things work. I guess I'm part artist, part blogger, and part detective! 😄

I noticed the beautiful professional displays around me—big banners, polished signs, and carefully designed booths. Mine is much simpler. My artwork is handmade, my signs are handmade, and I work with what I have. Someday I would love a big banner for Zipolita'Z Artworkz, but for now my paintings and conversations are my introduction.

And maybe that's part of the charm.

My paintings are painted by hand. My earrings are handmade. Nothing is mass-produced. Every piece carries a little piece of my journey.

I only have one Bard market day left this season, on July 31. It will be Pride and fireworks, and I will have to leave early because I am cat sitting in Surrey, but I am looking forward to one more day of meeting people, sharing art, and continuing to build the name Zipolita'Z Artworkz.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by, talked with me, asked about my work, or took a little piece of my art home.

A rainy day turned into a pretty amazing one.

— Zipolita'Z Artworkz 🎨


#ZipolitaZArtworkz, #BardOnTheBeach, #VancouverArtists, #CanadianArtist, #HandmadeArt, #OceanArt, #WhaleArt, #MermaidArt, #JimothyTheRaccoon, #SupportLocalArtists



No comments: