Tuesday, July 7, 2026

The Boxes at the End of the Driveway

 

Yesterday I experienced something I don't think I'll ever forget.

Riding back from Jericho through Point Grey, I came across the remaining contents of an estate with a "FREE" sign. Most people would have seen old boxes. I saw a lifetime.

There were family photographs, birthday cards, newspaper clippings, certificates, letters, paintings, tax records, and keepsakes belonging to John and Joan Frost. Joan had lived an extraordinary 110 years. As I gently sorted loose photographs and papers into empty drawers to keep them together, I couldn't help but think about how overwhelming it must be to clear out a lifetime of memories. Grief, deadlines, and exhaustion can leave impossible decisions. I don't judge anyone involved. I just felt these memories deserved a little care.

I rescued a few certificates and took them to the Museum of Vancouver to ask whether they belonged in an archive. Another gentleman who also cared about what he had found took many of the photographs and papers. We exchanged contact information in the hope that someone connected to the family or the neighbourhood might help preserve their story.

The experience brought back a memory from more than 30 years ago.

In 1995, while I was a mature student working in home support during the summer, I cared for a wonderful gentleman named Mr. Thurston during the last three weeks of his life. I truly believed he was getting better. I didn't realize he was quietly calling old friends to say goodbye.

One of those friends was Dr. Gordon Fahrni, who lived to the remarkable age of 108. I remember him arriving at the funeral with his cane, sitting beside me while I cried, nudging the hymn book toward me and saying, "Sing, sing." After the service, he politely held the door open for me. Years later, I learned more about his extraordinary life and his memoir, The Prairie Surgeon, which tells of practising medicine in a much different time.

When Mr. Thurston died, I went home to my mom and said, "I never want to do home support again. It's too hard." My mom had done that work for 12 years. She understood exactly what I meant.

I went back to college, earned my photography diploma, found other jobs, and life moved on.

But yesterday reminded me that every photograph, every birthday card, every old letter, and every faded newspaper clipping represents someone's entire life.

One day, our own boxes of memories may be all that remain.

If you are helping clear a loved one's home, take one last look before something is thrown away. Label the people in old photographs. Ask the older members of your family who everyone is. Shred personal financial documents. And if you come across something that may have historical significance, consider contacting a local archive or museum before it disappears forever.

History doesn't only live in museums.

Sometimes it's sitting quietly at the end of a driveway, waiting for someone to notice.


Reflective Questions

1. How many family stories are lost because no one knows their value?

2. What memories would you hope someone would preserve from your life?

3. Have you ever discovered an old photograph that changed the way you saw your family history?

4. Do we take enough time to ask our elders about the people in old photographs?

5. What responsibility do we have to preserve local history before it disappears?

6. How do grief and the practical demands of settling an estate influence the decisions we make?

7. What ordinary objects from today might become important historical records tomorrow?

8. Who in your life has quietly shaped your journey without realizing it?

9. If you could spend one more hour with someone you've lost, what would you ask them?

10. What stories in your own family deserve to be written down before they're forgotten?

No comments: