Blog post by Tina Winterlik © 2011
So I posted a photo of one of my paintings last week.
I also posted these blogposts trying to raise the awareness.
Below are two articles. One is an excellent eye opener for the realities of what is happening there, the other is from the Government of Canada stating the help they are giving.
Here is how you and I can help. If you buy one of my paintings and I give away half to a registered charity, the government will match that. Or you could donate directly or set up your own fundraising campaign. See below.
Donating and fundraising criteria
For every dollar Canadians contribute to registered Canadian charities responding to the East Africa drought, the Government of Canada will set aside one dollar for the East Africa Drought Relief Fund.
There is no limit on the amount of funds that are available through this program from the Government of Canada.
To be counted for this purpose, donations must comply with all of the conditions below. A donation must be
- made by an individual Canadian;
- monetary, not exceeding $100,000 per individual;
- made to a registered Canadian charity that is receiving donations in response to the drought in East Africa;
- specifically earmarked by such organizations for the purpose of responding to the drought; and
- made between July 6 and September 16, 2011.
The requirement that donations be made by September 16, 2011, is to ensure that CIDA's matching contribution to the relief fund can in turn be mobilized quickly to respond to immediate needs in East Africa.
So what do you say! Do you want to help me so we can help them?? Or what are YOU going to do?