An open letter from Artists Against C-51
Is it promoting terrorism if we:
- write a spy novel about an assassination plot?
- record a song questioning our government’s agenda?
- paint a mural about the conflict in Syria?
- produce a documentary on security threats in Canada?
- put on an art show critical of the oil sands?
- make a film with an environmental theme?
In addition, Bill C-51, because of the lack of oversight and accountability, is an invitation to intellectual property theft. All creative classes, including entrepreneurs and digital creators, are threatened by it. And every citizen is subject to blackmail, due to unlimited, unaccountable access to personal information.