Saturday, September 26, 2026

an elegy for summer

 

an elegy for summer

summer, I wasn't ready for you to leave.

You arrived carrying long evenings, warm pavement, salt in the air,
and the strange permission to stay outside just a little longer.

I thought there would always be another sunset.
Another morning when the light came early.
Another day when the night didn't arrive until we were ready for it.

But tonight the Harvest Moon rises,
and the season turns its face toward autumn.

So I will not say goodbye with sadness alone.

I will remember the things you gave me—
the colours, the ocean, the wandering,
the unexpected conversations,
the photographs I almost didn't take,
and all the little moments that seemed ordinary
until suddenly they belonged to the past.

Perhaps that is what an elegy really is:

not simply mourning what has ended,
but giving it one last beautiful place to live.

Goodnight, summer.

The moon is full.

The harvest is here.

And tomorrow, we begin again.


Reflective questions: 


What part of summer are you not ready to let go of? 


What ordinary moment from this season might become precious in your memory? 


What does the Harvest Moon make you want to gather before the light changes?

Keywords: elegy, Harvest Moon, passing of summer, autumn, seasonal change, memory, grief, renewal, nature, reflection


Hashtags: #HarvestMoon #Elegy #EndOfSummer #AutumnEquinox #SeasonalChange #Moonlight #Nature #Memory #Reflection #BeginAgain

No comments: