Friday, September 4, 2026

Gr.GrandpaJohn Enos Diary April 1881

 Excerpt from My Great-Grandfather’s Diary 📖

I’m sharing excerpts from my Great-Grandfather’s diary. They may not always appear in chronological order, so please bear with me as I work through them.

He lived in Nanoose Bay, on Notch Hill, and his diary gives us a glimpse into our family’s life and history.

My Great-Great-Grandfather came from the Azores to Victoria in 1862. He later married my Songhees Great-Great-Grandmother in 1876, the same year the federal Indian Act was enacted.

The diary belonged to my Great-Grandfather. My Great-Aunt Mary eventually donated it to the Royal BC Museum. I was able to have it scanned into a PDF, and I’ve also been working from the handwritten cursive to create a hand-printed transcription so that we can actually read his words.

It feels pretty special to be able to bring these pages back into the family story, more than a century later.

More excerpts to come. ❤️


April 1, 1881

  1. Ploughing at the spit

  2. Brought J. tey home with a calf

  3. [unclear]

  4. Brought [unclear]

  5. Mother went to Nanaimo *

  6. Sowing peas at the spit

  7. Raing Day

  8. Brought Mr Beachums cow
    calfe home

  9. Planting potatoes at the spit

  10. [unclear]

  11. Ploughing its well yard

  12. Rainy Day

  13. Ploughing for the Indians **

  14. Father took Mr Beachums cow
    to Wellington

  15. FCD

  16. I went to Nanaimo *

  17. At Nanaimo *

  18. "

  19. I returned from Nanaimo *
    Rainy weather

  20. Father went to E. M. Rei[?]

  21. Rainy

  22. Plant potatoes at the spit

  23. FCD

  24. Fine Day

  25. Fine

  26. Bring home dogfish scraps
    from point for manure

  27. Rainy Weather

  28. Fine Day

  29. Planting beans at point

  30. Sowing oats by the [unclear] house

No comments: