but what about the people sleeping outside?
And here's where my thoughts get a little more complicated.
I can understand wanting public spaces to reflect Indigenous history and communities. Names matter. Representation matters. How we tell our history matters.
But I also can't stop thinking about the people who are sleeping outside tonight.
People who are cold.
People who don't know where they will sleep tomorrow.
People struggling with addiction, poverty, mental illness, disability or simply a housing market they can no longer afford.
So I keep asking myself:
How much time and public energy should we spend debating a street sign when people are still dying without housing?
Maybe we don't have to choose between the two.
Maybe we can rename a street and fight for housing.
Maybe we can honour Indigenous history and make sure people who are alive today aren't left on the sidewalk.
Because a city can change a sign in a day.
Changing someone's life takes a lot more than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment