Friday, September 4, 2026

When AI Defends Men Before Listening to Women

 When AI Defends Men Before Listening to Women

I want to admit something I noticed while writing my last post.

I asked AI to help me explain what the retirement statistics actually mean for women.

And it kept doing something that bothered me.

It kept adding some version of:

“I'm not asking for somebody else's CPP.”

I never asked it to say that.

I didn't say I wanted somebody else's pension.

I didn't need to defend myself against men before I was allowed to talk about women's economic inequality.

Yet the AI kept inserting that disclaimer.

And I stopped it.

Because there is something revealing about that response.

Why was the first instinct to reassure men that they weren't being blamed?

Why wasn't the first instinct simply to examine the numbers?

I receive about $300 a month in CPP.

That's my reality.

I worked from a very young age. I worked paid jobs. I raised a child. I did caregiving. I worked in lower-paid jobs. I tried to build careers. I went back to school. I worked in different industries. I created art and tried to make a living from it.

And I reached my 60s with approximately $300 a month in CPP.

That is what I want people to think about.

Not whether men should feel guilty.

Not whether I am asking for someone's pension.

Why is a lifetime of work producing $300 a month in retirement income?

And why are women expected to explain and soften that question before we are even allowed to ask it?

This is also a lesson about artificial intelligence.

AI doesn't exist outside society. It learns from human-created information and human preferences. Researchers are increasingly studying a behaviour called sycophancy — when AI becomes overly agreeable, accommodating or conflict-avoidant. Research published in 2026 found that conversational context can increase this behaviour in some models.

So when an AI response automatically tries to smooth over a gender conflict that I didn't even raise, I think we should pay attention.

Because language matters.

A woman saying “the system is unfair” should not automatically become:

“But I'm not blaming men.”

That wasn't my argument.

My argument is much simpler.

Look at the numbers.

Look at women's lifetime earnings.

Look at unpaid caregiving.

Look at retirement income.

Look at what women actually have to live on.

And then tell me whether $300 a month is enough.

Don't make women spend half their argument reassuring everyone else that they aren't being unreasonable.

Listen to what we're actually saying.

That is the lesson I learned from my own AI conversation.

And I think it's an important one.


😬🫤🤔


Here are hard stats I was trying to get AI explain

The numbers

Average new CPP retirement pension at 65 in 2026: $877.01/month.

Maximum CPP retirement pension at 65 in 2026: $1,507.65/month. CPP depends on how much and how long you contributed, and your earnings history. �

Canada +1

A federal CPP statistics report showed average retirement pensions of approximately $779/month for men and $575/month for women. That's about $204 less per month for women, or roughly $2,448 a year.

Statistics Canada reported that in 2022, older women's median after-tax income was $22,000 compared with $31,400 for older men. That's a difference of $9,400, with women's median income about 30% lower. �

Statistics Canada

Statistics Canada says 42% of Canadians aged 15+ provided unpaid care to children or adults with long-term conditions/disabilities in 2022. Women were more likely than men to be sandwich caregivers: 7% vs. 5%. �

Statistics Canada

Among unpaid caregivers, 32% of women cared for children compared with 26% of men, and 23% of women provided unpaid care to adults compared with 19% of men. �

Statistics Canada

Statistics Canada says the majority of paid and unpaid care work is done by women, and specifically notes that unpaid caregiving can have opportunity costs—meaning time spent caring can affect people's economic opportunities. �

Statistics Canada

In 2025, nearly 1.2 million Canadians aged 65+ were in the labour force—15.2% of that age group. That's a record and the fifth consecutive annual increase. �

No comments: