Friday, September 4, 2026

Gr. Grandpa Joseph Enos Diary March 1881

 An Excerpt from My Great-Grandfather’s Diary 📖

I’m sharing excerpts from my Great-Grandfather’s diary. They may not always appear in chronological order, so please bear with me as I work through them.

He lived in Nanoose Bay, on Notch Hill, and his diary gives us a glimpse into our family’s life and history.

My Great-Great-Grandfather came from the Azores to Victoria in 1862. He later married my Songhees Great-Great-Grandmother in 1876, the same year the federal Indian Act was enacted.

The diary belonged to my Great-Grandfather. My Great-Aunt Mary eventually donated it to the Royal BC Museum. I was able to have it scanned into a PDF, and I’ve also been working from the handwritten cursive to create a hand-printed transcription so that we can actually read his words.

It feels pretty special to be able to bring these pages back into the family story, more than a century later.

More excerpts to come. ❤️


First Book — March 1881

March

  1. Brought dogfish scraps home to put in the garden

  2. Digging for apple trees.
    Father grafting

  3. Grafting

  4. Took boat to point

  5. Father is grafting

  6. "

  7. Planting apple trees

  8. Planting fruit trees

  9. I sawed wood, then repairing boat

  10. Fixing fishing line

  11. Sawing wood

  12. FCD

  13. [unclear] came in the Bay

  14. [unclear] the dogfish

  15. Fixing the fish line

  16. Put the fish line in the water
    Brought home the oxen

  17. Hauling home wood

  18. FCD

  19. Repairing a fence at the beach

  20. Repairing a fence at the beach

  21. Plant the beach garden

  22. Blue grouse came in

  23. Found Browneys calf dead

  24. I went to the point

  25. Father sent a letter to Frank Bilboa

  26. Raing Day

  27. Herring came in the bay
    the second time

  28. Sowing onion seeds

  29. Fine Clear Weather

  30. Planting at the spit

No comments: