If You Haven’t Seen The Dressmaker, Put It On Your List
There’s a movie I absolutely love that I don't think enough people have seen: The Dressmaker (2015), starring Kate Winslet, Judy Davis and Hugo Weaving.
It is funny, strange, beautiful, dark and surprisingly deep.
At first, you might think you're watching a story about a woman returning to a tiny Australian town to make beautiful clothes.
But there's so much more underneath.
There are lessons about bullying, shame, abuse, sexuality, trauma, gossip, conformity, revenge, forgiveness and what happens when an entire community decides who you're supposed to be.
And Hugo Weaving's character, Sgt. Farrat, is one of my favourites. Watch what happens when he discovers the fabrics. There's such joy in him. That red satin scene gets me every time.
And then there's the mirror tree. ❤️
The movie also deals with some very difficult subjects. The rape scene and the abuse within a marriage are hard to watch, and I've learned to skip those parts. You can still appreciate everything else the film has to offer.
But somehow, even with all that darkness, this movie is hilarious.
The woman eating the hash brownies? ๐
The outrageous dresses?
The characters?
The absurdity of the entire town?
And then that ending.
I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but let's just say the town eventually has to deal with its own garbage.
I've watched this movie over and over, and every time I notice something different.
So if you've never seen The Dressmaker, give it a chance.
Don't expect a straightforward romantic comedy.
It's a dark fairy tale about people, secrets, cruelty, survival and finally getting the chance to become who you really are.
And underneath all the beautiful clothes and wicked humour are some very serious lessons.
Watch it. Then come back and tell me what you thought. ❤️
#TheDressmaker, #KateWinslet, #HugoWeaving, #JudyDavis, #AustralianFilm, #MovieRecommendation, #HiddenGem, #DarkComedy, #FilmLovers, #MustWatch
No comments:
Post a Comment