RETHINK EVERYTHING
I am encouraging people across Canada — and especially here in BC — to RETHINK EVERYTHING.
Look outside.
Our forests are burning. We go about our days under grey, smoke-filled skies while communities lose homes, forests, wildlife, food and livelihoods.
And yet we're still being encouraged to consume, consume, consume.
Do you really need that?
Before you spend your money, ask yourself: Do I need this? Can I repair it? Can I make it? Can I trade for it? Can I buy it used from someone in my community?
And if you do need something, think about where your money goes.
That little bit of money you have is POWER.
Don't give it away automatically.
My mother made most of my clothes when I was growing up. We repaired things. We altered things. We reused things. We passed things along.
Today we have closets overflowing with clothes.
We have more stuff than we know what to do with.
We don't need more consumption. We need a culture of reuse.
Trade your clothes. Revamp them. Repair them. Give them directly to someone who needs them. Support community organizations where your donations actually help people.
And this is why I'm asking Canadians to rethink the modern thrift industry, too.
I remember when Value Village actually felt like a value village. You could find useful things at prices ordinary people could afford.
That's what I want back.
Not another corporate retail machine selling donated goods at prices that can sometimes make buying new cheaper.
I want community thrift stores again.
Stores where donated goods stay affordable.
Stores where people who need things can actually afford them.
Stores built around reuse, community and accessibility — not maximizing the value extracted from every donation.
Maybe it's time to stop feeding a system we don't believe in.
Use your power.
Buy less.
Repair more.
Trade.
Reuse.
Share.
And before you donate something, ask where it is going and who actually benefits.
Because if we are serious about living differently on a planet under increasing pressure, we have to start somewhere.
Start with what you buy.
🌲🔥
#RethinkEverything #BuyLess #Reuse #Repair #Thrift #Overconsumption #Wildfire #BC #Canada #Community
10 Reflective Questions
1. What do I really need, and what am I buying simply because I can?
2. When did repairing something become less convenient than replacing it?
3. What would happen if we valued usefulness over newness?
4. Where does my money go after I spend it?
5. Could I trade, borrow, repair, or buy used before buying new?
6. What happens to the things I donate after they leave my hands?
7. Who benefits financially from the things we give away?
8. What would our communities look like if reuse became the norm instead of overconsumption?
9. Have we forgotten how much knowledge our parents and grandparents had about making, mending and reusing?
10. In a world facing fires, climate pressure and rising costs, what would it really mean to consume less?
#RethinkEverything #BuyLess #Reuse #Repair #Thrift #Secondhand #Overconsumption #Community #Sustainability #Wildfire #BC #Canada
No comments:
Post a Comment