Monday, August 17, 2026

I’ll Have Another

 I’ll Have Another

It seems like ions ago.

Back when Canada, Mexico and the United States could still find something to celebrate together.

In 2012, a little-known Mexican-born jockey named Mario Gutierrez climbed onto a horse named I’ll Have Another and headed into the Kentucky Derby.

And somehow, it felt like the whole neighbourhood was watching.

Canada was cheering. Mexico was cheering. The United States was cheering.

For a moment, there were no arguments about borders, politics or who belonged where. There was just a horse, a jockey, a race — and the possibility of something wonderful happening.

And then they won.

I remember thinking about betting on I’ll Have Another. Somehow, that time, we actually could have placed a bet. But I never got around to it.

I would have won.

😂

But the money wasn't really what I remember.

I remember the feeling.

Everyone was celebrating. Mexico was proud of Mario. Americans were celebrating their Derby. Canadians were celebrating too. Somehow, the win belonged to all of us.

And then there was the name.

I’ll Have Another.

The story goes that owner Paul Reddam loved cookies and, after eating one, would often say, “I’ll have another.”

What a wonderfully ordinary way to name an extraordinary horse.

Today, when I think back to that Kentucky Derby, it feels like a postcard from another world.

A world where we could look south and see neighbours instead of enemies.

Where Mexico, Canada and the United States could stand around the same television and cheer for the same impossible little story.

A Mexican jockey.

An American horse-racing dream.

A Canadian audience cheering along.

And one horse that somehow belonged to all of us for a few minutes.

I’ll Have Another.

It seems like ions ago.

Maybe that's why I remember it so clearly.

Because for one beautiful afternoon, the win was for all of us. 🐎❤️



#IllHaveAnother #KentuckyDerby #MarioGutierrez #Canada #Mexico #USA #Neighbours #Unity #HorseRacing #GoodMemories

No comments: