Who Pays for Vancouver's Public Art?
Part 1 of the Vancouver Biennale Investigation
I love public art.
Let me start there.
I love walking or riding through Vancouver and suddenly encountering something unexpected — something colourful, beautiful, funny, enormous or completely imaginative.
OSGEMEOS' Giants at Granville Island is exactly the kind of public art I love.
Those huge colourful figures transformed an industrial landscape into something playful and unforgettable.
So this investigation isn't about hating contemporary art.
It isn't about saying every unusual sculpture should disappear.
And it certainly isn't about telling artists what they are allowed to create.
It is about asking who chooses what gets put into our public spaces — and who pays for it.
Because once art leaves a gallery and enters a public park, waterfront, sidewalk or cycling route, something changes.
The public becomes the audience.
And sometimes the public becomes the unwilling audience.
That is why I have started asking questions about the Vancouver Biennale.
Let's follow the money.
The Vancouver Biennale describes itself as a charitable organization and says its work is supported through grants, corporate sponsorships, in-kind contributions, philanthropy and art sales.
Its public list of supporters includes government and public organizations as well as corporations and foundations.
That doesn't mean anything improper is happening.
But public money and public partnerships deserve public questions.
How much money does the Biennale receive?
From whom?
How much comes from governments?
How much comes from corporations?
How much comes from private donors?
How much comes from foundations?
How much is spent on artists?
How much goes toward transportation, installation and removal?
How much goes toward administration?
How much does it cost to maintain an artwork sitting in a public park?
And when a temporary artwork is removed, who pays for that?
These aren't hostile questions.
They're accountability questions.
And then I found something important.
The Vancouver Park Board's 2017 agreement with the Vancouver Biennale proposed three exhibitions over 12 years, with up to 15 artworks each.
Under that agreement, the Biennale provides the curatorial leadership and funds installation, insurance, maintenance and de-installation.
Park Board staff, meanwhile, conduct technical and risk-management reviews. Sites are identified and agreed upon in advance.
That means public art appearing in our parks isn't simply an artist showing up one morning with a sculpture.
There is a system.
There are agreements.
There are decision-makers.
There are public institutions involved.
And there is money.
That's where I want to go next.
Because who pays can tell us something about who has influence.
I am not suggesting that a corporation donating money gets to choose which sculpture goes into a park.
I am not suggesting government funding means government censorship.
I am not suggesting anything improper has happened.
I'm saying we should know how the system works.
And I want to see the documents.
I want the financial filings.
I want the sponsorship agreements.
I want the municipal agreements.
I want to know who approves what.
I want to know what criteria are used.
And I want to know how much opportunity ordinary Vancouver residents actually have to say:
“No. This doesn't belong here.”
Because I've encountered Biennale artwork that I absolutely love.
And I've encountered artwork that I find disturbing, depressing or even frightening.
That's okay.
We don't all have to like the same art.
But when that art is placed in the spaces where we live, walk, cycle, play and raise our families, I believe we have a right to ask questions.
This isn't an attack on artists.
It's an investigation into the system.
Who chooses our public art?
Who pays for it?
Who approves it?
Who gets to object?
And ultimately:
Who is public art actually for?
I'm going to follow the paper trail.
No rumours. No conspiracy theories. No assumptions.
Just documents, money, names, decisions — and the questions they raise.
Part 2: Who's Behind the Curtain?
No comments:
Post a Comment