Silent Running: A Film from 1972 That Feels Like a Warning We Never Heard
Today is August 5, and once again I'm sitting indoors with my air purifier humming away while the smoke hangs over British Columbia. The air where I am isn't as bad as it is in Hope, where reports say the air quality has been among the worst in the world, but it's enough to remind me that something has changed.
Last night I found Silent Running on Prime.
I'd seen it years ago, but watching it now feels completely different.
If you've never seen it, please do. Better yet, remake it for a new generation. The special effects may be dated, and younger viewers might chuckle when Joan Baez begins singing, but don't let that fool you. The heart of this film is timeless.
Bruce Dern gives one of the most honest, emotional performances I've ever seen. I'm not even finished watching it yet because I'm deliberately savoring it. It deserves that.
The film asks a simple but profound question:
What happens when we decide nature is no longer worth saving?
That question has haunted me all morning.
I grew up in Hope and Yale, British Columbia. My parents owned property in Dogwood Valley on the side of a mountain. As a little girl—maybe seven years old—I would play in and around the forest for hours.
I remember lying beneath enormous cedar trees, falling asleep on the soft moss and grass. I searched for wildflowers, four-leaf clovers, caterpillars, butterflies, and every little creature that called the forest home. I rode my bicycle a quarter mile down the road to visit friends, where we built imaginary forest homes and forts. I'd ride back and forth several times a day. I loved my bike. I skipped everywhere. There were no forest fires that I can remember...
The forest wasn't something I visited.
It was home.
Today I wonder...
Will children growing up now ever know that freedom?
Will they wander through healthy forests without smoke filling the sky?
Will they hear birds instead of helicopters fighting wildfires?
What kind of future are we leaving them?
The warnings didn't begin yesterday.
In 1962, the same year I was born, Rachel Carson published Silent Spring, one of the most influential environmental books ever written. It exposed the devastating effects of pesticides like DDT, which caused eagle populations and many other birds to collapse because their eggs became too fragile to survive.
Then, in 1972, Silent Running imagined a future where Earth's forests existed only inside giant space domes because humanity had destroyed everything else.
More than fifty years later, those stories don't feel like science fiction.
They feel uncomfortably familiar.
Every summer brings more fires.
More smoke.
More records broken.
More forests lost.
Meanwhile, we continue expanding fossil fuel infrastructure, building more highways, buying more vehicles, consuming more resources, and acting as though endless economic growth can somehow exist on a finite planet. Governments of every stripe continue approving projects they argue are necessary for prosperity, while many people worry about what that prosperity will mean if the natural world keeps disappearing.
We're asking the wrong question.
Instead of asking, "How much more can we build?"
Maybe we should be asking, "How much can nature endure?"
Recently, social media has been captivated by "Jimothy," the raccoon with a distinctive appearance that has become an internet sensation. People smile, share videos, and celebrate wildlife. That's wonderful.
But perhaps we should also ask harder questions.
What pollutants are wildlife being exposed to today?
How are chemicals, climate change, habitat loss, and wildfire smoke affecting animals—and us?
We don't always know the answers.
But we should never stop asking the questions.
There is an old song with a lyric that has stayed with me for years:
"Do you know where you're going to?"
It's a question for all of us.
Not just about our own lives.
But about our collective future.
What kind of world do we want our children and grandchildren to inherit?
One where forests are memories?
Or one where a seven-year-old can still lie beneath a giant cedar, watch butterflies drift through the sunlight, and fall asleep listening to birdsong?
Silent Running isn't really about space.
It's about Earth. πππππ²π¦π¦π¦«πΏππ¦¨πͺπ¦πͺΊππ₯πππ’π§π¨
And perhaps that's why it still matters more than ever.
#SilentRunning #BruceDern #SilentSpring #RachelCarson #Wildfires #ClimateAction #SaveOurForests #AirQuality #BritishColumbia #ProtectNature
No comments:
Post a Comment