Monday, March 28, 2011

Don't Let Them Tell You "You Can't Do That!"


Blog post by Tina Winterlik © 2011

http://tinawinterlik.blogspot.com 

This morning on Twitter I came across
Rob Tew's Blog and he had this Video(below)

TEDxAsheville - Eustace Conway - Traditional Lifestyles of the 21st Century

I just loved what Eustace had to say, and it made me think of my dad and give thanks to him today. He was only in my life 11 years, but he must of had some great visions.

When we were kids we had rabbits and pigs, chickens and a whole big peat bog down the back where we used to go pick blueberries, and dad hunted the foxes that were killing his chickens.

I remember helping him pick up the shells after he shot at something. I remember helping him when we went down the back to get a rabbit for Sunday dinner.

This was in Surrey B.C. Canada back in the early 60's.

In 1969 we moved to a place that my mother would later refer to as "beyond Hope" but he must have had incredible dreams and visions about what could be done.

As kids we roamed half a mountainside and we were always out playing somewhere and my parents didn't know where I was.  (Later in life I thought we were neglected but now I appreciate the gift of freedom my parents gave me.)

Like Eustace says this instilled the hope and vision that I could do anything because no one was telling me I couldn't. We only had one TV channel- the CBC

Today I want to say "Thank You Daddy!" I know you had big dreams you weren't able to make a reality, largely in part to credit cards, believe it or not., even way back then.

He had chosen to have a gas station and the one he chose was Pacific 66 because they took all cards, but guess what, alot of those people didn't pay there cards...it took a long time for me to figure this one out as I was so young at the time when he passed away and there were so many other factors involved.

My dad was huge dreamer, and so am I. I love him for that. I Thank him for that.

I hope by letting my daughter run around on a beach in Mexico for 2 winters with no TV, I've instilled some of these values and dreams in her. I can see it in her stories, thoughts and actions.

What can we achieve? Not sure Yet! What have we achieved, Miracles!  

What Can You Achieve?

I believe we can all create Miracles. We Can get back in touch with nature, we Can lead simpler lives.

What's happening and has happened in the U.S. and Canada in the ecomonics is sad, and hard, and tragic in many situations, especially for the children but as Eustace says "If we can get thru that pain" we can be much stronger people that can achieve our dreams.

We have to achieve our dreams of a simpler sustainable life because there is no other options.

The consumer, materialistic, me, me, me model does NOT work and so we must work towards living in harmony with nature, living in harmony with each other, living in peace.

As Eustace says at the end of his talk "Peace be with you!!"

TEDxAsheville - Eustace Conway - Traditional Lifestyles of the 21st Century





Naturalist Eustace Conway, subject of a biography by "Eat Pray Love" author Elizabeth Gilbert, has lived off the land since he was a teenager. Here he shares insight from a life lived close to a deeper reality most of us hide from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eustace_Conway

At the age of 12, Conway lived in the woods for a week. At 17 he moved out of his parents' home entirely so that he could live in a tipi in the woods.

He has hiked the entire Appalachian Trail and claims to have set the world record for crossing the United States on horseback from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

However, according to the New York Times and Los Angeles Times of the day, as well as the book, Bud & Me, the record for crossing the North American continent on horseback was actually done in 62 days.

This journey was made by Bud and Temple Abernathy, aged 11 and 7, who rode 3,619 miles (5,824 km) from New York to San Francisco on an equestrian journey, which started in August, 1911.[1][2][3][4]

The weekly radio show "This American Life" reported on Conway's cross country journey in the episode "Adventures in the Simple Life", which aired on September 11, 1998.

The show uses recordings that were taped on a hand-held recorder by Conway and his party.[5]

A 2003 documentary film on Conway's life, Full Circle: A Life Story of Eustace Conway, was directed by Jack Bibbo.

Truth & Happiness


http://www.truehealthhappiness.com/

Eustace Conway shares some valuable insight on how to free ourselves from the demands of society in order to pursue our dreams and passions. This is a very powerful Ted Talk presentation. Enjoy the quotes and video… -Rob

All successful men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.” -Brian Tracy

“I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.” -Jonas Salk

http://www.truehealthhappiness.com/?page_id=2

About Rob Tew
I created this refuge and sanctuary for you.  Empowering people to live their dreams and live a life with passion inspired the incarnation of this site.

You are here because you seek answers and need guidance.

Like a child whose curiosity has sparked the golden thread of interest within to follow–you too, have cut out all the noise and tuned into your intuition which has lead you here.

Read more here http://www.truehealthhappiness.com/?page_id=2

No comments: