Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Paul McCartney

Paul I have been listening to your music my whole life. You see my older sister (by 12 years) and she loved THE BEATLES

She saw you play here in Vancouver ....many years ago when you first came....let's see I think this was it...

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1964.0822.beatles.html
Beatles Interview Vancouver
http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1964.0822.beatles.html







On August 22, 1964, the Beatles arrived in Vancouver to perform their first-ever Canadian concert at Empire Stadium.  They almost didn’t make it. According to a press conference given upon their arrival, the Fab Four’s pilot nearly cost them the gig thanks to some paperwork. Paul McCartney explained “there was one little thing” missing on the pilot’s documents, and John Lennon added: “We got [to Vancouver] and… had to go back.”



http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/08/beatles-in-vancouver-august-22-1964/ 


Anyways, Paul, I was 2 when you came to Vancouver and I don't remember much but I know when I was a little older, my sister and her friend, (I think his name may have been Paul,) took me and my little sister and brother to see the movie HELP! and it was at a Drive In Theatre and we were all piled into a little VW bug!! That was out in Surrey, probably the Surrey Drive In??

HOW COOL IS A MEMORY LIKE THAT!!  

And it was probably this movie and Ringo with that big ring stuck on his finger- that I, as a little 5 year old felt sorry for him, and got a big crush on him and he was always my favourite but I did like you all and I loved your music.  





I would have watched you on the Ed Sullivan show and probably saw this there.
 

"I want to hold your hand" was always one of my favourite songs but it's very hard to chose from so MANY great songs.  These songs really shaped my life in so many ways.


This song, this song has power, power to calm upset people, power to change energy, it's just beautiful, I'ts sad you can only find this little clip online because it should be shared far and wide. I love this song!!



Now this song, this song...whenever I am unhappy or felt the injustices of the world I turn to this song. Remember I grew up in the 70's so as a little girl living in a rural area in BC with only one TV station- the CBC-  I watched the Vietnam war on TV,  and I saw the protests, hippies / draft dodgers came to work at my parents business and well I was exposed to lots of music but I always loved the Beatles




And whenever life was dumping all over me over the years and I needed something to come through for me, I would play this and smile and feel that in my heart "everything would be okay!!"




When I was about 14, I remember hearing on the radio, that you were coming (I thought it was ) to Vancouver- (I think now it was Seattle )

You were Paul McCartney and Wings then and it was the Band on the Run Tour.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney_and_Wings

I remember racing down the hallway in our home and banging on my brothers door to tell him you were coming...but he wasn't as excited. And I found that sad because I was hoping to go....

Anyways I as I got older I went to many concerts, from about age 15 to 18,  I saw some great ones. I used to use all my allowance to buy the tix and bus tix from Abbotsford to Vancouver ..there was never much left for a t-shirt or program....but I saw Fleetwood Mac, Alice Cooper, Supertramp, Bob Seger....lots of great shows, and I have great stories about each. 

I remember in the old days...ticket prices were normal. Like for example...when ticket prices went from $11.00 a concert to $18,  I said they were too high and I wouldn't go anymore. And I didn't. I couldn't afford it...and maybe I was starting to grow up and all those super big crowds and super loud music was getting a little old and we could buy tapes!! Ha! Ha! I had lots of cassettes...still do in a box in storage.

Back then going to a concert was dangerous. Seriously it was festival seating. I remember one time before Fleetwood Mac or maybe it was Alice Cooper,  we were all crammed at the doors of the Pacific Coliseum waiting to get in. I was there with a girlfriend and we were freaking out because there was a girl behind us who had drank to much and kept mentioning she might puke.

But when you are in a crowd that tight, you can't move.

Finally ...because I knew the routine by now...there was a tinkle of glass- someone broke it..and then some guy on the inside ran along all the doors, banging them as they opened and people POURED through. 

My friend makes it through but as I go, two guys are trying at the same time. I am little and I am literally being SQUISHED!! and it was scary...what was scarier is this big bouncer guy starts punching at these guy's arms/shoulders to make them go back while he's pulling me through!!

Finally I made it! and then they searched us, like everyone and off we went to try and find a seat...because seats were NOT assigned. That was festival seating.  Glad they stopped that and you can all be blessed but still scalpers are an issue, they always have been and it's sad to see all the people getting ripped off.

Anyways, I haven't been to a concert in a very very long time. I just don't have the money and well there's no one I really want to see that badly...

BUT my friend, who is the same age as my older sister mentioned he would REALLY LIKE TO GO! and you know what he's retiring...he was supposed to retire last year but you know this crazy world, people have to keep working....there's no gold watch...

So I was teasing I need to throw him a retirement party. I think it would be fabulous to take him to your concert Paul.

Any that's why I thought I would write this DEAR PAUL letter and see if maybe you can swing two (or maybe 3 -one for my kid) tickets for us here when you come to Vancouver in April.




Getting older in this world is a strange thing...people are into such different things and money rules, I guess it always has, but things are so warped out. I saw how they wouldn't let you in that club.

HOW RUDE!! http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/17/paul-mccartney-club-beatle-grammys 

Well Paul, what ever happens, you are great! You music is great! I wish you have a wonderful concert and THANK YOU for all your BEAUTIFUL music!! 

My life would have been so much different without it! I think that is one of the most wonderful things about music, is the power it has, and it's subtly, people don't know it's even affecting them many times.

YOU ROCK PAUL! You and Ringo, what incredible lives you have had. And poor George & John, they were so amazing and it must have been very hard when they passed. And losing Linda, you have suffered some terrible grief I am sure.

Grief is a terrible thing to deal with, I know too well, but music helps. It's helped me a lot. I have lost both my parents and many loved ones over the years and this song has helped me so much!!

Thank YOU!! Thank you Paul! Enjoy Vancouver!! If you drive through Kitsilano, come by and pick me up and I'll give you a tour. Ha! Ha!! Cheers, Tina



On a little side note,  I made this little animation proto-type a few years back...it's based on a vision I had and if you watch it at the end I mention missing the music. Somehow I feel this old grandma is me- 108 years and we've changed the world...but it's music like yours I'll be missing!!


No comments: