billions for data centres — but what about people?
I don't support the rush to build massive data centres.
And I don't believe we should pretend that every investment in AI infrastructure is automatically an investment in Canada's future.
A future for whom?
Before we pour billions into enormous data centres, I think we need to ask some very basic questions.
Do Canadians have homes?
Do Canadians have enough food?
Can seniors afford to live?
Can young families afford to raise their children?
Can people who work full-time afford a place to live?
What happens to the people who fall through the cracks?
Because technology doesn't need a house.
A data centre doesn't need a pension.
A server doesn't need a warm bed.
People do.
And when governments can mobilize billions for technological infrastructure while human beings are living outside, I think Canadians have every right to question our priorities.
I am not against technology.
I am asking:
Why aren't we putting human beings first?
If we have billions available for the infrastructure of an AI future, why can't we demonstrate the same urgency when it comes to housing, health, food security, pensions, Indigenous communities, children and people experiencing homelessness?
We keep hearing that there isn't enough money.
There isn't enough housing.
There isn't enough time.
There isn't enough capacity.
And yet, when governments decide something is a priority, enormous amounts of money and resources can suddenly be found.
So perhaps the question isn't what Canada can afford.
Perhaps the question is:
What does Canada choose to prioritize?
No comments:
Post a Comment