where does Canada's money actually come from?
I keep hearing that Canada can't afford to solve our housing crisis.
So I decided to ask a different question:
Where does Canada's money actually come from?
Because I don't understand government finances well enough to pretend I know the answer.
And maybe that's exactly why we should all be looking at it.
the federal government
In the 2024–25 fiscal year, the federal government collected approximately $511 billion in revenue.
That came largely from:
$234.3 billion — personal income taxes
$97.0 billion — corporate income taxes
$52.5 billion — GST
$31.5 billion — Employment Insurance premiums
$71.9 billion — other taxes and duties
$49.2 billion — other revenues
That's more than half a trillion dollars coming into the federal government in one year.
But Canada also spends more than it collects.
That's where the deficit and government borrowing enter the picture.
So no, there isn't an unlimited pile of money sitting in Ottawa.
But Canada is also not a country with no resources or economic capacity.
We have oil and gas.
Minerals.
Forests.
Fisheries.
Hydroelectricity.
Agriculture.
Technology.
Manufacturing.
Millions of people working and paying taxes.
And now we are talking about enormous investments in artificial intelligence and data-centre infrastructure.
So I keep coming back to one question:
if we can mobilize billions for other priorities, why can't we mobilize enough to house our people?
I'm not suggesting that everything is free.
I'm not suggesting governments can simply print money without consequences.
I'm asking Canadians to look at the numbers and ask what we are choosing to prioritize.
Because there are people living outside right now.
There are seniors who cannot afford housing.
There are families choosing between rent and food.
There are young people who cannot imagine ever owning a home.
There are working people who are still homeless.
There are people falling through the cracks.
And meanwhile, governments are capable of moving enormous amounts of money when they decide something is a priority.
So where is that urgency for housing?
“If Canada can mobilize enormous amounts of capital for energy, technology, infrastructure and investment, why can't we mobilize the same determination to make sure Canadians have somewhere affordable to live?”
Because somewhere along the way, people stopped being the priority.
Or at least, that's what it feels like when you watch billions move while human beings are left waiting for a home.
Where is the urgency for the baby?
The single mother?
The senior?
The person who worked their whole life?
The family one rent increase away from losing everything?
If governments can move mountains when something is considered a priority, why isn't housing being treated like one?
Canadians deserve an answer.
and that is the question
I'm not an economist.
I'm a Canadian trying to understand where the money goes.
Maybe we should all understand it.
Because once ordinary people start following the money, we can ask much better questions.
How much comes in?
How much goes out?
What are we borrowing?
What are we investing in?
What resources are generating wealth?
Who benefits?
What is being preserved for future generations?
And perhaps the biggest question of all:
How can a country this wealthy still have people without homes?
I don't think Canadians should be afraid to ask.
Where is the money?
Where is the housing?
Where is the accountability?
And where is the humanity?
No comments:
Post a Comment