Friday, February 26, 2016

Pt 3- Great Songs that Have Inspired Me!


I just replied to a friends post on Facebook after I shared this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i1pgWWRAoM

 They live outside the US in Mexico and haven't vote for years but they are planning to. This was my comment.

Please do vote and vote for Bernie Sanders. Since we neighbour with the US(I'm referring to me-in Canada), it's very scary that Trump is even running. I don't want to think about what would happen if he succeeded. I thought it was all a joke but now I am doing everything I can to encourage people to vote for Bernie. I don't want a WW3 and I don't trust Hilary as she's be bought and sold and she covered for her husband...she has a history of covering things so that is untrustworthy right there. I believe Bernie is the only one who has an actual good soul.

And this a my blog post from a few days ago. Vote for Bernie and Remain Engaged!! He can't do it alone, no president, prime minster or single person can. We have to do it together...grassroots people! http://tinawinterlik.blogspot.ca/2016/02/vote-for-bernie-and-remain-engaged.html

I was listening to old songs on Youtube today while I was painting. There were the most amazing songs from my youth....that many of the kids today have never heard.

Love this one so much.

I wish someone would write a modern day version. I was going to do it a while back...I'm not a song writer or much of singer... but I love to sing along to this while I paint and dance around the house!!

Share this with your kids(teens) maybe if you explain it, it might inspire them.

MUSIC has POWER...let's use it...to change the world!!!

I DON'T watch the videos (they are usually not very good)

...just LISTEN to the WORDS.



"We Didn't Start The Fire"


Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, The King And I, and The Catcher In The Rye
Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc
Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron
Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock
Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Khrushchev
Princess Grace, Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, Bridge On The River Kwai
Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
Starkweather, Homicide, Children of Thalidomide...

Buddy Holly, Ben-Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia
Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
U-2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land
Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion
Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician Sex
J.F.K. blown away, what else do I have to say

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
Begin, Reagan, Palestine, Terror on the airline
Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide
Foreign debts, homeless Vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz
Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
Rock and Roller Cola wars, I can't take it anymore

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
But when we are gone
It will still burn on and on and on and on
And on and on and on and on...

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No, we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No, we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/billyjoel/wedidntstartthefire.html







WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES

This has actual images so don't watch if it upsets you but listen to the words. This is what I was listening to when I was 9, 10, 11....See the other posts about what I am referring to. Re: power of music, activist, youth, voice, grassroot movements, injustice, corruption



WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES

If you ever wondered how I became an activist well it stems from the fact that when I was a little girl, I was 10, in 1972 when the Vietnam war was all over the news. (and I was a Canadian, living in Canada). We only had one channel CBC and I saw a lot of things that were horrible images and a lot of protesters on TV.

I remember saying- crying to my mom- "why can't they bring them home"...I get all shivery and teary thinking about it.

M.A.S.H the TV show (about the Korean war) was also on TV and it gave a real face to the war. That must have being the origins...

We also had draft dodgers, a lovely woman and her husband come and work for my mom and dad in the restaurant and gas station we owned. She tried to teach me a song her mandolin - Moonshadow. They had a great big St. Bernard. I will never forget that.

The video show images from the Vietman war, don't watch if it upsets you too much(close your eyes and don't let kids see this.). But the song GIMME SHELTER is powerful. LISTEN!!

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES(I consider them graphic, sadly things are so warped people see this on on the tv and web all the time and many are numbed out and de-sensitized)





Two things here, as I suggested earlier, just listen to the words, don't look at the images, but also remember...there was a time not so very long ago when all film, video, television, movies were all in BLACK AND WHITE.. With our rapid advance in technology I believe it's something many of us for and for the kids they are unaware.












When you talk about the power of a song, when this came out, there was no internet and I living in Canada- with no relatives from Australia. I didn't really know much about it and the issues they had involving the indigenous people who lived there. This song let me know...it educated me, enlightened me. The Power of a Song!! Music is Power- use it! But use it wisely!






peace


music
protest
power

No comments: